Friday, August 10, 2007

The Simplicity of a Child's Acceptance

I had of the loveliest couple of hours this afternoon, sharing a lingering patio coffee with a sweet friend... and then an even lovelier hour or so, meeting his young son for the first time and frolicking in the park.

My friend's son chased pigeons -- with great glee and little success -- and we all howled with laughter. Later, our talks turned to dragons and unicorns... the shapes of planes and helicopters... and the intricate beadwork of a kitschy Chinatown frog.

My favorite moment was one of the simplest. After the pigeon-chasing, as we walked toward the street, the boy took his father's hand. A moment later, beaming, he reached his other tiny hand toward me.

We walked for blocks like that, talking and laughing. Later this evening, walking home on my own, I remembered my friend's smile and his son's giddy laughter -- and felt such gratitude for this day.

No comments: